Voting form

Discussions about BJC 2011

Moderator: Rosie Jane

Forum rules
Please keep discussions to BJC 2011
remember jugglers are lovely fluffy people
be kind to each other.

If your a member of either team can you please edit your profile to say so in your sig so we can see who is posting.

BJC 2011 Location

Poll ended at Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Nottingham
60%
Bath
39%
Neither of the above
0%

Total votes : 224

Voting form

Postby Mini » Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 pm

there are 3 ways people will vote.

1 for their friends.
2 for the closest to them
3 for the best proposal

to be honest i think anyone who votes for the first 2 reasons isnt considering the best for BJC.

i hope people will read, and decide based on number 3.

an open vote shows all those people who will chose on 1 and 2. hopefully if they know this they are more likely to consider 3.

Please read the 2 proposals, post any questions to the teams in their forum.

this Vote page will open at 00.01 May 12th and close 11.50pm May 16th.
If your a member of either team, i think out of openness you should edit your profile and say so in your signature.
Mini
Site Admin

Re: Voting form

Postby Plumsie » Wed May 12, 2010 6:50 am

Mini wrote:an open vote shows all those people who will chose on 1 and 2. hopefully if they know this they are more likely to consider 3.

Does this mean that we will be able to find out which proposal people have voted for (as we would if the vote was held in the business meeting!)? If this is the case then hopefully it will also discourage people from trying to rig the vote creating multiple accounts.

I still worry however that the team with the most friends will be the team that wins rather than the team with the best bid (lets hope the team with the best bid also has the most friends)
Who had considered running BJC but had a baby instead.
Plumsie

Postby Mini » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 am

if i read the instructions correctly when i clicked on the "set up poll" button when the vote is over then the list of voters can be made available.

Mini
If your a member of either team, i think out of openness you should edit your profile and say so in your signature.
Mini
Site Admin

Postby el_grimley » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 pm

voted
Not a member of either team. Although I am willing to help the winning team.
el_grimley

Postby Helen » Wed May 12, 2010 12:25 pm

You say open vote does this mean you as an administrator get to see who voted how or will both proposal teams get to see this it would be good if this is made clear. It seems that you are worried that people will just vote for there friends however I have a few thoughts:

If the list is made available later you may actually be doing the opposite by forcing people to vote for their friends as they dont want to offend them by voting against them. As far as I am aware jugglers are usuallyreasonable if they see a problem or issue with the proposal (although if they are friends you would have expected to voice this concern before this point) they would vote against it even if they are good friends. I know if the vote was held at the buisness metting it would have been open however these things go unnoticed in a sea of arms where as are obvious when you have a list of names or email addresses in front of you.

If the vote is swayed by a proposal teams group of friends (assuming they are jugglers who plan to attend) it is likely to mean that they have more help and support which would help the event run smoother and the organisers be a little less stressed. In my oppinion good BJCs and juggling conventions in general come down to 2 things a good venue (both proposals seem to have that) and it running smoothly without too many problems (also a good show helps).

Mini wrote:an open vote shows all those people who will chose on 1 and 2..

Are you going to do anything about this as even if you know that someone is a friend of a proposal team and has voted for them how do you know that there decision is baised on friendship rather than their oppinion on the 2 proposals.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant was meant to be but I thought a few things might need pointing out.

Helen
Helen

Postby lynne » Wed May 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Even if you know how someone voted, it would be presumptious to assume that you can infer their (possibly many and varied) reasons.
lynne

Postby Rosie Jane » Wed May 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Helen wrote:You say open vote does this mean you as an administrator get to see who voted how or will both proposal teams get to see this it would be good if this is made clear. It seems that you are worried that people will just vote for there friends however I have a few thoughts:

If the list is made available later you may actually be doing the opposite by forcing people to vote for their friends as they dont want to offend them by voting against them. As far as I am aware jugglers are usuallyreasonable if they see a problem or issue with the proposal (although if they are friends you would have expected to voice this concern before this point) they would vote against it even if they are good friends. I know if the vote was held at the buisness metting it would have been open however these things go unnoticed in a sea of arms where as are obvious when you have a list of names or email addresses in front of you.

If the vote is swayed by a proposal teams group of friends (assuming they are jugglers who plan to attend) it is likely to mean that they have more help and support which would help the event run smoother and the organisers be a little less stressed. In my oppinion good BJCs and juggling conventions in general come down to 2 things a good venue (both proposals seem to have that) and it running smoothly without too many problems (also a good show helps).

Mini wrote:an open vote shows all those people who will chose on 1 and 2..

Are you going to do anything about this as even if you know that someone is a friend of a proposal team and has voted for them how do you know that there decision is baised on friendship rather than their oppinion on the 2 proposals.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant was meant to be but I thought a few things might need pointing out.

Helen

I also have an issue with this open vote list, will someone read the list and then judge who is a juggler and delete the votes of those who are perceived to be non jugglers ? How would anyone be able to make a decision like that?

And really what is the point of seeing the list of who voted where? It wont change anything.

Sam and I have discussed this and have agreed that we wont look at it, but if we do or it is discussed by someone else we will make no judgement if you are a friend of ours or the Nottingham team but voted Bath. No offence will be taken, so please please just vote for the event you like the sound of the best.

Cheers

Jane
x
Rosie Jane - co-organiser of BJC 2011
Looking to retain my Rosie 'Hero' Jane title from 2007!
Rosie Jane

Postby devilstickmatt » Thu May 13, 2010 7:39 am

I just want to say, I think they're both excellent proposals, and it's been really really hard choosing one or other.

I'm not affiliated with either team, but I have friends in both, and I've been talking to people about proposals, particularly at Oxford where I had long chats with Ron and Shaun.

I'm glad that we as a community seem to care enough to make it all happen, so thank you to both teams from those of us who can't really give up our day jobs to run a big convention like this.

I look forward to whichever BJC happens in 2011. :-)
devilstickmatt

Postby Kaneda » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 am

I haven't decided yet but even though I almost live close enough to the Nottingham venue to pass clubs between my garden and the people on site, I will be voting for the one I think will make the best BJC.
Not part of either team but I make T-shirts and would be interested in quoting for the printing needs of either team...
Kaneda

Postby ItsHim » Thu May 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Kaneda, don't seem to be able to use the private messaging forum on this board so can you contact me (nigel@itshim.co.uk) as I am interested in your T-shirt business.
ItsHim

Next

Return to BJC 2011